Coudersport Borough History
The Coudersport Borough was settled in 1807 and incorporated in 1848 the population is presently 2650 the Borough includes 12.3 miles of streets. The flood control was installed in 1953 after the devastating flood of 1941 and at that time James Berger was our State Senator and also the Present Pro Tem of the Senate and with that power he was the main force behind the funding for this project. Coudersport is the County seat for Potter County. Until 1969 the railroad Coudersport and Port Allegany was in service and after 1941 when the flood took out the bridges between Coudersport and Port Allegany service was received from Newfield junction and brought into Coudersport. The main employment in the 40s to the 60s was the Damascus Tannery, Anchor Toy Company, Lincoln Tanning, Hosiery mill and American Silver Truss Company. In the late 80s Adelphia TV Cable Company began going and presently they are the 4th largest cable company in the United States and Headquartered in the Borough of Coudersport.